Monday, March 15, 2010

I hereby declare March 15 'Hug Your PC Engine (or TurboGrafx-16) Day'

If you don't have a PC Engine or TurboGrafx-16, you can participate by hugging your Wii--after you purchase, say, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, which hit the Virtual Console service this morning.

You'll have to hand over 900 Nintendo points ($9) before you can download the Toru Hagihara-designed title, but if you're any sort of Castlevania fan I think you'll find it's well worth the premium price.


PS3 owners with Japanese PSN accounts can get in on the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 love, too--though they can't (yet) buy Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.

In fact, the "Game Archives" section of Sony's download service currently contains just 15 cartridge-based PC Engine titles at this point. (It'll get its first CD game--the guitar-laden Gate of Thunder--on Wednesday, according to andriasang.com.)

See also: 'Better late than never: 'The best Castlevania ever' is coming to the States'

4 comments:

Viewtiful_Justin said...

I bought it with Robb without hesitation, knowing he had to play it. Than we stayed up way too late beating it with Maria, because Richter kind of sucks, honestly.

But damn! How cool! He says it's like Dracula X for the SNES, but WAAAAAY better. Apparently X was supposed to be a SNES port of that game, but they totally skimped.

Bryan Ochalla said...

You already beat it? Wow! I have to admit I've never beaten it. Maybe I'll do so this weekend.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys like it :)

Also, yes, Dracula X was a remake of sorts of this game. As far as I remember, it wasn't an exact port, but don't take my word for it!

Viewtiful_Justin said...

No, it wasn't an exact port. There are similar level sections in some places and similar enemies, but for the most part they're completely different. It's amazing. Dracula is impossible to beat with Richter, but MARIA IS AWESOME!!!

Bryan Ochalla said...

Oh, that's interesting. It's funny (to me) that I've never played the SNES version. I think I just wanted the PC Engine version so much back then that I ignored it.