Thursday, February 18, 2010

I can't for the life of me finish a game these days

Especially, it seems, if the game is part of the Final Fantasy franchise.

Case in point: I bought the original Final Fantasy from the Wii Shop the day it came out and over the next few weeks made my way to the final boss. That was months ago, and the boss is still sitting there, waiting for me to beat him.

Don't get too comfortable, Chaos--I'll come for you eventually. I hope.

I also bought Final Fantasy IV: The After Years the day it came out. I played through the first few chapters and then, despite the fact that I had enjoyed the experience up to that point, I stopped playing it, too.

Interestingly (well, it's interesting to me), I'm trudging my way through another Final Fantasy title--Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon--at this very moment. What do you think: Will it soon fall by the wayside like its aforementioned namesakes?

Also, have any of you developed this "problem" over the years?

4 comments:

Viewtiful_Justin said...

I used to play games from start to credits without fail--obsessively even!

Now? Psh.

I'm 5 from the top on No More Heroes; I never finished Phantom Hourglass; I got chapters and chapters into Dragon Warrio 4 on the NES ans quit; And currently I'm just over halfway through Rhythm Heaven AND Drill Dozer.

I have trouble finishing anything. Does that have something to do with getting older? Not feeling as driven to complete things?

Bryan Ochalla said...

Well, it's good to know I'm not alone.

I used to be like you--I finished every game that made its way into our home. Now? I just don't seem to have the attention span for it. I'm enthralled with a game for a few days or weeks and then I lose interest.

I'm not sure it's specifically due to getting older, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that's the case.

Mischievous Lumi said...

I hate old games like Final Fantasy that only give you a hint of what town to go to, I always end up walking around in circles because I had no idea if I was going the right way. I also don't like Final Fantasy II because of the whole skill leveling... Made it impossible to actually play the damn game. Luckily Final Fantasy IV was a lot better, even though, I didn't find it necessary to have so many sub character switches per quest. Ugh, I hate leveling characters just for them to get turned into stone!

Bryan Ochalla said...

Hey there, Luminairis! I can see where you're coming from--the first Final Fantasy certainly isn't for everyone, and for the very reasons you've pointed out. I can't stand FFII either, but I looooove FFIV (and V and VI), even with the sub-character switches :)