Thursday, January 28, 2010

I know it's a stretch ...

... to call this a piece of gaming news, but I can't help myself.

Hikaru Utada, the j-pop superstar best known to gamers for the songs she contributed to Kingdom Hearts ("Hikari"/"Simple and Clean") and Kingdom Hearts II ("Passion"/"Sanctuary"), outed her stuffed bear, Kuma-Chang, on Wednesday :)


Utada has posted photos of Kuma-Chang on her blog for years and even wrote a hit song about him ("Boku wa Kuma") in 2006. (You can see the song's video here, if you're so inclined.)

Anyway, during a performance in San Francisco on Tuesday, Utada threw foam baseballs containing images of Kuma-Chang holding up signs saying "Legalize Gay Marriage" into the crowd. The next day, she posted a photo of the autographed balls on her blog.


Along with the photo she wrote:

"Actually, I don't think I've ever really explained it here, but Kuma really is gay (he's a boy but likes men only, no interest in girls...) so these illustrations flowed pretty naturally. Oh, did I just out Kuma?"

2 comments:

Viewtiful_Justin said...

Ha! That's an interesting way to raise awareness. I like it!

Bryan Ochalla said...

Me too! I wonder what her fans -- esp. Japanese ones -- thought of it?